PortalPortal  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Share | 

Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit

Go down 
AuthorMessage
roger

PostSubject: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:13 am

JPL issued an updated orbital solution for Comet Elenin on 2011 JUN 12. The only significant difference is a lowering (brightening) of the estimated peak brilliance to magnitude +5.9 on SEP 18. The previous estimate was +6.6. The IAU predicts +5.8, so the two estimates have come to essential agreement after converging from earlier differences. At the time of peak brilliance the comet will be only 16° east of the Sun and poorly positioned after sunset for northern hemisphere observers around the time of the autumnal equinox.

For those who are concerned, this is a tiny comet only a few kilometers in diameter and will come hardly any closer than Venus often does. Its miniscule gravitation has produced no detectable perturbations of solar system bodies. It is not hiding a larger body as suggested by silly rumors that have grown like wildfire on woo woo websites. Millions of worldwide astronomers, both professional and amateur, are not involved in a leak-proof conspiracy to hide the truth from the ignorant masses. For those who have binoculars or telescopes, take pleasure in what you are able to see during the coming months. However, this will be a difficult object for naked eyes.

Photos and descriptions of the comet would be welcome additions to this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AstroJunkie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:17 am

It's weird, me and Andy were talking about Elenin a few days ago, I was reading up on it... the amount of crazy conspiracies around it Neutral Why don't they just grab a telescope and look for themselves lol! People spread rumours to cause mass panic.. deary me. Itll cross our orbit infront of us but it's a long shot for it hitting us.

But anyway, I'll keep an eye out Smile i haven't seen a comet since around 11-12 years ago which was when my love for astronomy peck up, thanks to my dad taking me out every night to view this comet in the sky.. I was in complete awe, but it did used to scare me. I remember having nightmares about comets when i was little, their tail always spooked me Smile

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
point of rockets is to explore them!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.astrojunkie.com
roger

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 am

I was quite spooked out by comets as a child too.

I hate these conspiracy websites when they include astronomy and science. There's nothing every astronomer and scientist in the world could hide anyway. It's just peoples with a lack of knowledge scare-mongering others with information even they do not understand.

I'll keep an open eye out with my telescope too, if I see anything i'll inform.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heatherspacejunkie

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:13 am

i used to be really spooked out by comets as a child too !! still am a little bit i love everything to do with space and would love too learn loaddds more!!! Smile xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AstroJunkie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:14 am

roger wrote:

I hate these conspiracy websites when they include astronomy and science. There's nothing every astronomer and scientist in the world could hide anyway. It's just peoples with a lack of knowledge scare-mongering others with information even they do not understand.

I tend to stay away from those kind of websites, the conspiracies on moon landings etc are enough to steer me away... i don't understand why people don't grab a scope and have a look for themselves *shaking my head* Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
AstroJunkie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:14 am

heatherspacejunkie wrote:
i used to be really spooked out by comets as a child too !! still am a little bit i love everything to do with space and would love too learn loaddds more!!! Smile xxx

There's something eerie about them lol, how calm they appear in our sky with a ghostly trail behing them...

And Heather you are in the right place then Very Happy

Back to top Go down
heatherspacejunkie

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:41 am

AstroJunkie wrote:
heatherspacejunkie wrote:

There's something eerie about them lol, how calm they appear in our sky with a ghostly trail behing them...

And Heather you are in the right place then Very Happy

yay!! im glad im already getig addddicted tooo this just like mnb !!! i would love to help you out on this site Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roger

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:57 pm

AstroJunkie wrote:
roger wrote:

I tend to stay away from those kind of websites, the conspiracies on moon landings etc are enough to steer me away... i don't understand why people don't grab a scope and have a look for themselves *shaking my head* Rolling Eyes

Moon landing conspiracies are the biggest load of c**p i have ever heard Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit   

Back to top Go down

Prospects for Comet Elenin Have Brightened a Bit
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: AstroJunkie :: General Astro Discussion-
Jump to: