PortalPortal  HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Log in
Username:
Password:
Log in automatically: 
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Share | 
 

 Light pollution map for anyone in the USA

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomK

avatar

Posts : 58
Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm

http://sites.google.com/site/3davel/home/light-pollution/lp2001/gmap
Back to top Go down
View user profile
astrolover

avatar

Posts : 95
Join date : 2011-08-23
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm

so whats the light brown mean? sell my scopes? lol! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eugen

avatar

Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:19 pm

astrolover wrote:
so whats the light brown mean? sell my scopes? lol! Laughing

It means you must be **** crazy to try and observe there!! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EdwardC



Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 36
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:20 pm

I saw that when it first came out late last spring. It's interesting stuff. It does more closely correlate to what I see in general but living on the coast I find the degree of sky brightness varies widely according to humidity. Even still the new map is based on really old data. I also expect light pollution to grow dramaticly as citys switch to LED lighting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
astrolover

avatar

Posts : 95
Join date : 2011-08-23
Age : 30

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:23 pm

EdwardC wrote:
I saw that when it first came out late last spring. It's interesting stuff. It does more closely correlate to what I see in general but living on the coast I find the degree of sky brightness varies widely according to humidity. Even still the new map is based on really old data. I also expect light pollution to grow dramaticly as citys switch to LED lighting.


So you're saying LP will be worse due to full spectrum lighting?

That'll stink, my LP filter won't work anymore. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EdwardC



Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 36
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Yes that's what I've heard.

Why don't you drive around and find one and test the filter out. Even setting up a LED flashlight in a darkened room should work as a test.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
carl9603

avatar

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

I've noticed the LP is substantially worse at JT compared to just a few years ago when I came over on holiday. I think it's due to the spreading development in the Palm Springs area, and perhaps more due to the humidity from the landscaping/irrigation than to the light itself. The transparency just isn't what it used to be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben

avatar

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Bah, extrapolating from the gradients around the white under the center of which I live, the Bortle level is about -1 or -2 here. The scale only goes down to 1, but let's put it this way - the phase of the moon makes no difference here in southeast Florida.

It's disappointing to see so much more gray and color, especially out west. And there's a little yellow dot where my dark sky site used to be. The term "dark" being relative of course.

But don't worry, when the oil runs out there will be a few years of darkness before we finish building the nuclear plants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EdwardC



Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 36
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Ben wrote:
But don't worry, when the oil runs out there will be a few years of darkness before we finish building the nuclear plants.


That should read "many years of darkness". They will also be cold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
centaurus

avatar

Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Ben wrote:
Bah, extrapolating from the gradients around the white under the center of which I live, the Bortle level is about -1 or -2 here. The scale only goes down to 1, but let's put it this way - the phase of the moon makes no difference here in southeast Florida.

It's disappointing to see so much more gray and color, especially out west. And there's a little yellow dot where my dark sky site used to be. The term "dark" being relative of course.

But don't worry, when the oil runs out there will be a few years of darkness before we finish building the nuclear plants.


I was looking in to places to observe when I visit Florida in April and I found that Harmony, FL is a town that has lighting ordinances in place and has Bortle 4 skies!! They have a dark sky festival and are in the SW part of Florida. Might be worth a drive!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   

Back to top Go down
 
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: AstroJunkie :: Observing-
Jump to: