Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Constellation Guide LEO EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Constellation Guide LEO

Go down 
+3
TomK
astrolover
scopeman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
scopeman

scopeman

Constellation Guide LEO Empty
PostSubject: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Leo - The Lion

Pronounced "Lee - Oh"

Where to find the constellation

Constellation Guide LEO 2laet5f

Constellation Chart

Constellation Guide LEO 2gvsl1y

Leo is a quite large and prominent Zodiac constellation which sweeps across the South of the sky throughout the early part of the year.

The 'Lion' shape is quite easy to imagine when looking at the pattern ofstars, and is home to many, many galaxies, including 5 Messier objects, and several ngc-classified galaxies, as well as a fairly bright, and moderately tight double star, and a dimmer, MUCH tighter example that will really test your optics.

M65 and M66 are two galaxies of similar brightness (M66 is the slightly brighter, and larger of the two)

Less than 20 arcminutes apart - mag 9.3 and 8.9 respectively - they make an equilateral triangle with a dimmer (mag 9.5) elongated galaxy - ngc3628 - known collectively as the Leo triplet.

The three galaxies can be seen together in the same widefield view if you have a good sky and 4" aperture or more.

M65

Constellation Guide LEO 2rpw4k9

M66

Constellation Guide LEO 33mxt2a

Leo triplet

Constellation Guide LEO 34ox35i

Similar to M65 and M66 - M95 and M96 (mag 9.7 and mag 9.3 respectively) are two more galaxies that reside close enough to each other to be seen in the same field of view. However, also nearby is M105, an 9th magnitude elliptical galaxy, which has yet another, dimmer galaxy (ngc3384) nestled close by.

All 4 can be seen together if you have at least a 2° field of view - and in fact, there is one more, even dimmer galaxy near M105 and ngc3384 - but you will need plenty of aperture to see the 5th member of this little grouping.

M95

Constellation Guide LEO 4dvwx8n

M96

Constellation Guide LEO 2m440fb

M105

Constellation Guide LEO 2zscih3

Constellation Guide LEO 49bk2dg

As well as those mentioned so far - there are 4 more sub 10th magnitude galaxies in Leo...

NGCs... 2903, 3521, 3607, 3626

(see the chart of Leo - further up)

ALGIEBA

Double star - mag 2.5 and 3.5 - both yellow - 4.4 arcseconds separation

Iota Leonis

VERY tight double star - only 1.7 arcsec separation - both elements white, magnitudes 4 and 7.

The very tight separation, and big difference in brightness, make this an extremely difficult double to split.

Leo NGC galaxiess (with magnitudes) - from my own "1200 Northern NGCs" list

For those with 'GoTo' or a good chart.

2903 - Gal - 9

3193 - Gal - 10.9

3227 - Gal - 10.3

3351 - Gal - 9.7 (M95)

3368 - Gal - 9.3 (M96)

3377 - Gal - 10.4

3379 - Gal - 9.3 (M105)

3384 - Gal - 9.9

3489 - Gal - 10.2

3507 - Gal - 10.9

3521 - Gal - 9

3593 - Gal - 10.9

3607 - Gal - 9.9

3608 - Gal - 10.8

3623 - Gal - 9.3 (M65)

3626 - Gal - 11 (C40)

3627 - Gal - 8.9 (M66)

3628 - Gal - 9.5

3640 - Gal - 10.3

3810 - Gal - 10.6

There are many more galaxies in Leo (73 in my 1200 NGCs list)

I've limited this to those brighter than mag 11 - to keep the size of the list down.
Back to top Go down
astrolover

astrolover

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Very nicely laid out Smile
Back to top Go down
TomK

TomK

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:16 pm

WOW! i know the big dipper, cassiopia, orion and my next constellation is leo! thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ANGELSKY

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:16 pm

This is really great - even for those of us without telescopes!
Back to top Go down
Starmonger

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:17 pm

Nice guide. As a beginner, I will definitely use it.
Back to top Go down
Suziegr

Suziegr

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Have always thought these guides looked a bit daunting but I think I'll try to make more sense of them. I massively under-estimated how much I'd have to learn before embarking on my new hobby. Over the past few weeks I've learnt so much about scopes, eyepieces, astro imaging and that it was never this cloudy before I bought my telescope!

Some of you guys must live and breath this stuff Very Happy Perhaps I'll catch you up someday... Maybe...
Back to top Go down
okeeft01

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Suziegr wrote:
Have always thought these guides looked a bit daunting but I think I'll try to make more sense of them. I massively under-estimated how much I'd have to learn before embarking on my new hobby. Over the past few weeks I've learnt so much about scopes, eyepieces, astro imaging and that it was never this cloudy before I bought my telescope!

Some of you guys must live and breath this stuff Very Happy Perhaps I'll catch you up someday... Maybe...

I'm in the same situation as you
Back to top Go down
Suziegr

Suziegr

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:20 pm

okeeft01 wrote:
Suziegr wrote:

I'm in the same situation as you

Ha! It's good to know I'm not alone! Very Happy

Have tried not to get too bogged down with excess info and am trying to apply every I learn as I learn it but the weather isn't helping much. I'm quite adept at balancing my scope now though as that's one things I CAN do on cloudy nights Very Happy
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Indeed there is a wealth of information to take in! Learning the night sky is NOT an overnight job. Set yourself a target - say one constellation per observing session using these charts. You'll learn the main and interesting constellations in a respectable amount of time. Added to which, don't forget that some of the 88 constellations never rise above the horizon for UK & US observers - and others are so faint and dull, they just ain't worth learning about! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide LEO   Constellation Guide LEO Empty

Back to top Go down

Constellation Guide LEO
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: AstroJunkie :: Observing-
Jump to: