Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Need help finding star  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Need help finding star  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Need help finding star  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Need help finding star  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Need help finding star  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Need help finding star  EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Need help finding star  EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Need help finding star  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Need help finding star  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Need help finding star

Go down 
+3
TomK
astrolover
Keith
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Keith

Need help finding star  Empty
PostSubject: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:43 pm

I have a friend that gave me coordinates of a star.She is wondering about where it is like magnitude and location.I cant find the option in starrynight to enter the info so if someone can help.the info she gave me is

105.74695 dec deg 7hrs 2.99 min
dec -30.50071 dec deg -30 30.04min

Thanks guys this would mean alot to her.
Back to top Go down
astrolover

astrolover

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:43 pm

When I type those coordinates into SIMBAD I come up with nothing.
Back to top Go down
TomK

TomK

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Using Google Sky those coordinates took me to a spot in Gemini just under Castor's east armpit. I used 07:02:59.4 for the RA. There doesn't appear to be a star at that location, although there are several nearby.
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Gemini would be +30, this is -30. I don't have this for sure but -30 would be Canis Major or Puppis.
Back to top Go down
Clive_D

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:45 pm

When I punch the coordinates into Cartes Du Ciel the closest star it gives me is Epsilon Canis Major - AKA "Adhara".
Back to top Go down
Astrotones

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:45 pm

What's the coordinate system? J2000 is standard these days, but she may have been given coordinates from a previous epoch.
Back to top Go down
astro_alan

astro_alan

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Let me guess; someone bought a star for her?
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Yes but it is a sad story.She was a girlfriend from years ago and since she has been married with kids.One of her daughters died of sids and her mom bought a star for her daughters birthday.she is wondering where the star is in the sky.somthing to keep her going. So with that what constallation would you say its in and what magnitude is that?
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:48 pm

It will be one of these two stars, either CD -30 3848 or CD -30 3852
Both of the suspect stars are CD designation and here is what I’ve found out about what CD stands for.

Description:
The "Cordoba Durchmusterung" (CD, Thome 1892-1932) is a visual survey of southern stars in the declination zones -22 to -89 deg, carried out as an extension to the "Bonner Durchmusterung" (BD) catalogs of Argelander (1859-1862) (see also Kuestner 1903) and Schoenfeld (1886). It contains 613959 records for stars brighter than 10.0 magnitude.

Introduction:
The goal of the survey was to obtain a position and estimated visual magnitude for every star down to 10.0 magnitude inclusive, but the faint limit was confirmed from comparisons with other catalogs, to be somewhat below 10. The positional uncertainties quoted in the original publications vary from +/- 0.42 sec and +/- 0.23 arcmin for zones -22 to -32 deg and +/- 0.33 sec, +/- 0.10 arcmin for zones -42 to -51 deg.

The document originally prepared by Wayne H. Warren Jr., on which this document is closely based (adc.doc) contains substantial additional information.

Here is a Digital sky Survey image that contains both stars.

http://aladin.u-strasbg.fr/java/alapre.pl?out=image&-c=07%2003%2021.0-30%2034%2048&fmt=JPEG&resolution=FULL&qual=SERC%20I%20DSS2

In this image CD -30 3848 is the star at the centre of the image. CD -30 3852 is the star to the upper left with the fuzzy blur beside it. Both are around mag 10.

A couple of years ago there was a discussion on Amastro about the legitimacy of these star dealers/namers. Brian Skiff from Lowell Observatory seemed to imply that even though these names aren’t registered with the IAU the companies do have a so called “right” to name these stars. It has something to do with the fact they are fainter than naked eye. DO NOT tell the mother that there is no legitimacy to this star naming.

You will be able to show her both of these star with your scope.
For CD -30 3848 put; 07 h 03m 21s -30º 34.8’ into your GOTO
For CD -30 3852 put; 07h 03m 33.6968s -30º 29’ 53.532” into the GOTO

Perhaps the baby’s Mom would like to decide which star she wants to link to. I hope in a small way this helps her find some peace. I can’t even imagine how horrible it must be to lose a child and I hope to never find out. Give her my love.

This is a map of the bottom part of Canis Major. The stars in question are located in the exact centre of the rectangle within that circle.
Back to top Go down
astrolover

astrolover

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:50 pm

There’s no need to tell your friend or her mother, but be warned that accepting money to place a star name in a self-published book is essentially a scam. Only star names designated by the International Astronomical Union are recognized as official by the scientific community. Historically, governments have refrained from getting involved in naming conventions that are best left to scientists. Laymen accepted this until a few decades ago when some sharpies realized there was no law against anyone naming or renaming stars. Those that sell star names generally utilize stars that are too faint for naked eyes and often duplicated by their competitors. Unfortunately, those hucksters take advantage of the likelihood that those in the know will respond to purchasers and recipients with the comment I made in the first phrase of this paragraph. So the con never ends.

That being said, I’ll assume that your given coordinates are for the epoch 2000.0. As noted, the star would be in the southeastern portion of the constellation Canis Major. But it’s too faint to appear on the chart I have of stars visible by naked eye under perfect sky conditions.
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks for the help guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help finding star    Need help finding star  Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help finding star
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: AstroJunkie :: Observing-
Jump to: