Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Angle where Milky Way is brightest

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Orange Sky

Orange Sky

Angle where Milky Way is brightest Empty
PostSubject: Angle where Milky Way is brightest   Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:24 am

Where, at roughly the same distance from Milky Way centre as Sun, would the Milky Way look brightest?

We are looking at Milky Way edge on. The light of the stars we see is conspicuous because it is concentrated in a narrow band of the sky.

If we looked at Milky Way from the same distance but face on, we would see all the same stars - spread over half the sky, thus much dimmer.

On the other hand, we do not see most of Milky Way. The Cygnus Rift blocks the view of the brightest, inner arms and the core of Milky Way.

How far from the Milky Way disc would we have to be to see round the Cygnus Rift and face the full glare of the Milky Way core?
Back to top Go down
heatherspacejunkie

heatherspacejunkie

PostSubject: Re: Angle where Milky Way is brightest   Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 pm

wow i didnt no you could see the milkyway in the sky. would that be with a telescope or by looking in the night sky
Back to top Go down
AstroJunkie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Angle where Milky Way is brightest   Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 1:02 pm

heatherspacejunkie wrote:
wow i didnt no you could see the milkyway in the sky. would that be with a telescope or by looking in the night sky

Well we're in it, so we can't see all of it..

From here you are looking out of our galaxy, go to a dark place on a clear night and you will see the outer spiral arm Smile i saw it tonight.

If you are South, such as Australia you look into the center of the galaxy, i saw that when i was in the Australian desert Smile

The night sky in Australia looks like...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27646251@N05/2812096134/

Amazing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.astrojunkie.com
adb41

PostSubject: Re: Angle where Milky Way is brightest   Angle where Milky Way is brightest EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Hmm...if you're asking how far above or below the disk we'd have to be to clearly see the core and spiral structure, it's probably a couple of thousand light-years. No doubt many of the globulars (like M 13, which is well above the disk) have spectacular views of the Milky Way's core and spiral structure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angle where Milky Way is brightest   Angle where Milky Way is brightest Empty

Back to top Go down

Angle where Milky Way is brightest
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: AstroJunkie :: General Astro Discussion-
Jump to: