Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Black hole limit?  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Black hole limit?  EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Black hole limit?  EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Black hole limit?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Black hole limit?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Black hole limit?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ANGELSKY

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:27 pm

I have heard that black holes have a size or mass limit. What does this mean? Do they stop feeding and growing? I can't imagine them just stopping taking in material.
Back to top Go down
AstroTurk

AstroTurk

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:28 pm

It means that in the universe we observe, there are none larger than a certain size (10-20 billion times the mass of our Sun). Not that they couldn't get bigger if you added more mass, just that the physical reality of how they were created and developed limited how big they COULD get with the matter available.
Back to top Go down
ANGELSKY

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm

If a black hole absorbed the entire universe, would it become much more massive, much bigger in size, or both? Could this be the big bang if a black hole absorbed everything and couldn't handle it, then blows up into all existence?
Back to top Go down
starhopper

starhopper

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:29 pm

ANGELSKY wrote:
If a black hole absorbed the entire universe, would it become much more massive, much bigger in size, or both? Could this be the big bang if a black hole absorbed everything and couldn't handle it, then blows up into all existence?

Technically, if a black hole absorbed the entire universe, it wouldn't be a black hole anymore.
Back to top Go down
AstroTurk

AstroTurk

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 pm

ANGELSKY wrote:

As far as anyone knows the mere laws of physics provide no upper limit to the mass or size of a black hole, even if the mass were quadrillions of times the mass of the universe. I often hear questions from people with the idea you're asking about, but the answer is no.
Back to top Go down
ANGELSKY

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Why is the answer no? I accept that answer, but I am curious because our understanding of physics break down inside a black hole, therefore how can we KNOW that this is not possible?
Back to top Go down
AstroTurk

AstroTurk

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Let me just add that our laws of physics don't break down inside a black hole, but only at the singularity in the center. We have no problem describing the interior of a black hole in the sense of inside the event horizon. So the question would really become "what is on the other 'side' of the singularity?", and the answer to that is: we haven't got a clue. You could of course note that our universe is "on the other side of a singularity" (see the big bang), so i presume that's where all the speculation regarding that comes from. I think there actually have been a couple of papers exploring such ideas, but they remain pure speculation nonetheless.

The funny thing with this singularity business is that the problem of solving for the future evolution of one is so unconstrained that saying it will "spew out copies of the Mona Lisa" is just as good as anything else Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Black hole limit?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black hole limit?    Black hole limit?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Black hole limit?
Page 1 of 1