Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
purpleR

Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  Empty
PostSubject: Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?    Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Hello,

I love contemplating about light speed travel. But there's one thing I don't understand.

As far as I understand relativity, time slows down as you approach the speed of light. But since everything is relative, how is it "chosen" which of the entities is speeding away from the other.

Take the example where I travel away from earth in my spaceship, going at [insert any given fraction of the speed of light here], I will return younger than my peers that never left the planet. Without an absolute position, why is there a difference from me speeding away from the earth and earth speeding away from me.

I really hope I explained well, otherwise I'll gladly try again. =)

Thanks alot!
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?    Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 5:09 pm

It's a good question. The first part of the answer is, there's no difference between who is moving, as long as you're both moving uniformly (i.e., with constant speed and direction). If you're in a spaceship speeding away from Earth, you'll see the clocks on Earth as slow, and people on Earth will see your clock on slow. Everyone is free to decide that they're the one standing still, and the other person is the one moving. It's not a paradox that both clocks appear slow; measurement of time is relative to your motion, and you can't check whose clock is "really" slow, because the two clocks are steadily getting further and further away.

If you turn your spaceship around and come back to Earth, so that you can directly compare the two clocks, the situation is no longer symmetrical. You turned around, going through a period of hard acceleration to change your velocity from nearly light speed in one direction to nearly light speed in the other direction. There are a number of ways to work out what happens in this case, but it's pretty easy to show using relativity that the clock that accelerated will always show less time elapsed than the clock that did not, once they're reunited. Moreover, all observers, regardless of how they are moving relative to the Earth or the spaceship, will agree on this.
Back to top Go down

Who is speeding away from who when time dilation occurs?
Page 1 of 1