Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
People named after constellations  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
People named after constellations  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
People named after constellations  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
People named after constellations  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
People named after constellations  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
People named after constellations  EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
People named after constellations  EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
People named after constellations  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
People named after constellations  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

People named after constellations

Go down 
+2
andy 'astrojunkie'
Mars1
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mars1

People named after constellations  Empty
PostSubject: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 12:44 pm

I was just reading an article about Danica McKellar, a star from The Wonder Years, who named her baby boy Draco.

This got me thinking, what other people have there been with constellations as their names? I know that Leo and Norma are common American names, and in other cultures Ara and Carina are popular girls' names. But what about the constellations that are less likely to end up on someone's birth certificate? In my lifetime, I have come across the following examples. A girl in my fourth grade class was named Orion. Several years ago I ate at a restaurant where a waitress was named Aquila. I remember articles in my local newspaper about girls named Sagittarius and Phoenix. I have seen a mention of a guy named Aries on a TV newscast. And though it doesn't really count, I know someone whose dog is named Hercules.

I'm sure I have encountered others, but they have escaped me by now. Does anyone here know of other people with constellation names? I wonder how many of all the constellations have ended up as baby names at some time or another. Maybe if I have a kid in the future I can create a unique identity by naming him/her Triangulum Australe.
Back to top Go down
andy 'astrojunkie'
andy 'astrojunkie'

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:01 pm

lol, i was going to call my daughter Aries Cool, but i haven't heard of anyothers named after constellations, would be pretty cool Cool
Back to top Go down
carl9603

carl9603

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:03 pm

I've can only recall one: About a year or so ago I was set up at Joshua Tree waiting for it to get dark and a young couple walked by. I offered for them to come by later to take a look through the scope but they declined, the young lady explaining that her father was big into astronomy and she had looked through enough scopes. She went on to explain that her father was so big into astronomy that he named her Capella. I couldn't tell if she thought that was good or bad. Anyway, it's kind of serendipitous to have you ask that question.
Back to top Go down
andy 'astrojunkie'
andy 'astrojunkie'

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:08 pm

capella sounds like a nice name, but id expect after awhile itll put you off of astronomy No
Back to top Go down
MikeW

MikeW

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:43 pm

I have a friend whose son's name is Orion. He and his then-wife aren't into astronomy - they just liked the name.

I have an older friend/co-worker whose name is Omega. He said he was the youngest in a large family and his mother was pretty adamant that he would be the last.
Back to top Go down
andy 'astrojunkie'
andy 'astrojunkie'

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:46 pm

lol, im contimplating on a space name for my next child... lol, like a few names bounce
Back to top Go down
AstroJunkie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:17 am

andy 'astrojunkie' wrote:
lol, im contimplating on a space name for my next child... lol, like a few names bounce

Aslong as it's nothing that's going to get them bullied lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.astrojunkie.com
MikeW

MikeW

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:04 am

AstroJunkie wrote:

Andy, it looks like you have to go through the missus with this first lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
mm5agm

mm5agm

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 am

I'll have to do some searches amongst my databases at work. There must be a few. What about foreign names for constellations? I'll bet there are people from all over the world who are named after constellations in their own culture.

I immediately thought the the lovely Anne Francis who played Altaira in "Forbidden Planet." Wonder if she spawned any copycat names.
Back to top Go down
AstroJunkie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:06 am

MikeW wrote:
AstroJunkie wrote:

Andy, it looks like you have to go through the missus with this first lol Laughing

Haha some of them are quite pretty :-) I want to name my kids with something a little out of the ordinary anyway!
Back to top Go down
http://www.astrojunkie.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People named after constellations    People named after constellations  Empty

Back to top Go down

People named after constellations
Page 1 of 1