Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Light pollution map for anyone in the USA

Go down 
+3
Eugen
astrolover
TomK
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TomK

TomK

Light pollution map for anyone in the USA Empty
PostSubject: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm

http://sites.google.com/site/3davel/home/light-pollution/lp2001/gmap
Back to top Go down
astrolover

astrolover

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm

so whats the light brown mean? sell my scopes? lol! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Eugen

Eugen

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:19 pm

astrolover wrote:
so whats the light brown mean? sell my scopes? lol! Laughing

It means you must be **** crazy to try and observe there!! Wink
Back to top Go down
EdwardC

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:20 pm

I saw that when it first came out late last spring. It's interesting stuff. It does more closely correlate to what I see in general but living on the coast I find the degree of sky brightness varies widely according to humidity. Even still the new map is based on really old data. I also expect light pollution to grow dramaticly as citys switch to LED lighting.
Back to top Go down
astrolover

astrolover

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:23 pm

EdwardC wrote:
I saw that when it first came out late last spring. It's interesting stuff. It does more closely correlate to what I see in general but living on the coast I find the degree of sky brightness varies widely according to humidity. Even still the new map is based on really old data. I also expect light pollution to grow dramaticly as citys switch to LED lighting.

So you're saying LP will be worse due to full spectrum lighting?

That'll stink, my LP filter won't work anymore. Sad
Back to top Go down
EdwardC

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Yes that's what I've heard.

Why don't you drive around and find one and test the filter out. Even setting up a LED flashlight in a darkened room should work as a test.
Back to top Go down
carl9603

carl9603

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

I've noticed the LP is substantially worse at JT compared to just a few years ago when I came over on holiday. I think it's due to the spreading development in the Palm Springs area, and perhaps more due to the humidity from the landscaping/irrigation than to the light itself. The transparency just isn't what it used to be.
Back to top Go down
Ben

Ben

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Bah, extrapolating from the gradients around the white under the center of which I live, the Bortle level is about -1 or -2 here. The scale only goes down to 1, but let's put it this way - the phase of the moon makes no difference here in southeast Florida.

It's disappointing to see so much more gray and color, especially out west. And there's a little yellow dot where my dark sky site used to be. The term "dark" being relative of course.

But don't worry, when the oil runs out there will be a few years of darkness before we finish building the nuclear plants.
Back to top Go down
EdwardC

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Ben wrote:
But don't worry, when the oil runs out there will be a few years of darkness before we finish building the nuclear plants.

That should read "many years of darkness". They will also be cold.
Back to top Go down
centaurus

centaurus

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Ben wrote:
Bah, extrapolating from the gradients around the white under the center of which I live, the Bortle level is about -1 or -2 here. The scale only goes down to 1, but let's put it this way - the phase of the moon makes no difference here in southeast Florida.

It's disappointing to see so much more gray and color, especially out west. And there's a little yellow dot where my dark sky site used to be. The term "dark" being relative of course.

I was looking in to places to observe when I visit Florida in April and I found that Harmony, FL is a town that has lighting ordinances in place and has Bortle 4 skies!! They have a dark sky festival and are in the SW part of Florida. Might be worth a drive!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Light pollution map for anyone in the USA   Light pollution map for anyone in the USA Empty

Back to top Go down

Light pollution map for anyone in the USA
Page 1 of 1