Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?

Go down 
+3
TomK
dannyadamsuk
Ben
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ben

Ben

Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  Empty
PostSubject: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:41 pm

I just had to upgrade my cell phone (the one I had for the past 5 years just went kaput), and now have one with a touch screen and gps. I was thinking it would be nice to have a sky chart on it, one that would work with the gps. Does anyone here have one or can make a good recommendation? I'm leery of downloading anything these days, and have never downloaded an app to a cell phone yet.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
dannyadamsuk

dannyadamsuk

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:42 pm

my nephew has one- you point it at the sky and it shows you what you looking at- constellation, planet- stuff like that, its nice but i was never really impressed with it, i think id rather have that $199 sky scout by celestron instead, i never used that either, but by the looks of it, its much better and FREE to use it.
Back to top Go down
TomK

TomK

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:42 pm

I have two on my iPad: Star Walk is a nice basic planetarium program that shows constellations and can basic information on many DSOs. Starmap HD adds some excellent tools for selecting and locating objects to view and IMHO is a much better product. I've not seen either used on a phone so I don't know how well they work in that format.
Back to top Go down
astro_alan

astro_alan

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm

I have Google Sky Map on mine. It does a decent job of showing you where basic stuff it, and you can hold it up to the sky and it will tell you what your looking at, but the object database is very limited. It is free, so long as you have a data plan with your provider. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ben

Ben

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm

I don't know what apps would work with my phone. I'll have to do more research. Thanks for the replies, guys!
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 pm

There are some free ones, don't forget to check into the NASA apps that are out there, some of those night sky apps that aren't star charts are still useful, they'll give you interesting events that happen on different nights.
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:44 pm

Ben wrote:
I don't know what apps would work with my phone. I'll have to do more research. Thanks for the replies, guys!

What phone do you have?
Back to top Go down
Ben

Ben

I have the Sprint Seek, made by Samsung. Some internet sites say it doesn't have GPS, but if you look at the specs, it does. I just keep getting more & more confused...
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Hrm, dunno about that one. Its not using one of the bigger more well known OS's so probably nothing anyone has mentioned in this thread will work with it. I would have to Google around to find anything for it, which I guess you can do just as easy. Sorry. Sad
Back to top Go down
Astrotones

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:46 pm

My buddy at work has a Samsung phone with the Google Sky map on it. It is free, and works surprisingly well. I was wondering if the location was well nailed down if you could mount it on a scope and use it as a rough finder.
Back to top Go down
Ben

Ben

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Emailed there support earlier here's the reply I got from Samsung:
"Dear Ben,

Thank you for your inquiry and taking the time to inform us about this issue concerning your phone. The device does not support Google Maps.

We do not support the use of 3rd party applications and services with any of our devices. For this reason, we do not have information compiled on possible resources. The suggestion we can offer would be to search the internet to locate an application to suit your needs.

If you are having issues with the use of a specific 3rd party application or service, we recommend contacting the manufacturer of that application or service for compatibility and support assistance.

Thank you for patience and understanding in this matter.

We appreciate your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Technical Support"

So........back to square one! Do you know what kind of phone your friend has? I'm wondering if I just try to download Google Sky Maps if I'd have a problem or not. I guess I can try.
Back to top Go down
astrolover

astrolover

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:48 pm

hmmm, sounds like a nice way of telling you to get lost, but continue sending in your monthly check- LOL anyway- my nephew has ATT with the sky app on his, i have verizon and see they have 4 freebies (including google- however the 'freebies' have a monthly data charge of either $9.99 (25MB)or unlimited $29.99-- my wife supposedley got the best family plan deal and chose verizon- course we get a discount because of her job and also because we have direcTV (package deal) so i assume all these carriers charge extra for email stuff and apps one way or another, i think the 1st step would be to change your carrier, since they dont seem to support much
Back to top Go down
Astrotones

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Ben wrote:

So........back to square one! Do you know what kind of phone your friend has? I'm wondering if I just try to download Google Sky Maps if I'd have a problem or not. I guess I can try.

I'm not at work today, so can't ask him, but I'm pretty sure it is one of the Galaxy series. All screen and three buttons. Android O/S.
Back to top Go down
Ben

Ben

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:50 pm

The wife has it on her android she just let me have a look. I love it! I was happy to see that it also has a night mode on it. Unfortunately, you're not able to actually view your latitude and longitude on it, so I went on Google Maps. Using the satellite images, I was able to pinpoint the front lawn of where I usually observe at my in-laws', and the driveway of my sister's house where I also observe, and put a memo on the phone with the coordinates of each. I'll plug those into the hand control for my ASGT next time I'm out and see how that works when I start my auto alignment. Maybe it'll help make the polar alignment go a little smoother. At least, I hope it does.
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Thats great. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?    Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Mobile Sky Charts Does anyone know a good one?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: The Lounge :: General Chat-
Jump to: