Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Constellation Guide CYGNUS

Go down 
+4
Clive_D
TomK
astrolover
scopeman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
scopeman

scopeman

Constellation Guide CYGNUS Empty
PostSubject: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Cygnus - The Swan

Pronounced 'Sig - Nuss'

Where to find the constellation

Constellation Guide CYGNUS 34xpe9h

Constellation Chart

Constellation Guide CYGNUS 2mzjozs

Cygnus is one of the 'busiest' constellations of all, mainly due to the fact that it straddles the Milky Way. Numerous clusters, and nebulae
make it one of the best areas in the Norther n sky to sweep with binoculars. Two Messier open clusters, several ngc-classified clusters,
the spectacular North American, Pelican, and Veil, nebulae, the 'blinking' planetary nebula, and perhaps THE showpiece, colour contrasting double star - Albireo

North America, and Pelican nebulae

Situated right beside each other, near Deneb. ngc7000, the North America nebula is so-called because it is actually shaped like the North American continent - visible in binoculars from VERY goos skies - a HUGE nebula, very difficult to see much of it in any telescope.

The Pelican nebula, also looks a little like it's name - smaller and dimmer than the N/A neb, much harder to spot visually

The pair are both shown far better photographically in this great image by Andy (Big Dipper)

Constellation Guide CYGNUS 2ppen3b

The Veil Nebula

Supernova remnant - also covers a lot of area - so much in fact that it has more than one ngc designation - the right-most piece (ngc6960) is also known as the 'witches broom'

Widefield instrument, good sky, and preferably a nebula filter required to spot it visually

Constellation Guide CYGNUS 2z3rjbr

M29

Small, tight open cluster, near the bright star Sadr

Constellation Guide CYGNUS 48yxdmw

M39

Larger than M29, and much more open, will fill the FOV at low powers

Several other open clusters - see the map - varying brightnesses and sizes - you can spend a whole night just hopping from one OC to the next in Cygnus.

The blinking Planetary (ngc6826)

A little off to the right of the main map - see finder chart below

Very small, may look like an out of focus star in a small scope - because it is a diffuse nebula though, it will only be easily seen with averted vision - if you look directly at it, it will appear dramatically dimmer, maybe even disappear. Look slightly away, and it will re-appear.

This is why it gets it's name

Constellation Guide CYGNUS 2whdlq1

Double stars

Albireo

Back in Elizabethan days, double stars were the 'trendy' thing for 'Gentlemen astonomers' to observe. Many books were published, listing examples, and attempting to describe the colours, and Albireo was the real celebrity of double stars.

Yellow.Orange primary, with blue companion - magnitudes 3.2 and 5.4 - the colour contrast is really striking - and because it is a relatively 'wide' pairing, it can be seperated in any telescope (I've evn split it with 15x binocs)

61 Cygni

Two orange stars - slightly tighter than Albireo - magnitudes 5.5 and 6.4

I've only really scratched the surface here - There's a lot more to Cygnus for the persistent observer - Very rich area of the Milky Way - so many clusters merge with the millions of background stars - an awesome area to sweep through with a larger scope.

Cygnus NGCs (with magnitudes) - from my own "1200 Northern NGCs" list

For those with 'GoTo' or a good chart.

6764 - Gal - 11.9

6811 - OC - 6.8

6819 - OC - 7.3

6824 - Gal - 12.2

6826 - PN - 8.8 (Blinking Planetary)

6833 - PN - 13.8

6834 - OC - 7.8

6866 - OC - 7.6

6871 - OC - 5.2

6883 - OC - 8.0

6884 - PN - 12.6

6888 - Neb - 10.0 (Crescent Nebula)

6913 - OC - 6.6 (m29)

6946 - Gal - 8.8

6960 - Neb - 7.0 (Veil - part) - aka, the Witches Broom

6992 - Neb - 7.0 (Veil - part)

6995 - Neb - 7.0 (Veil - part)

7000 - Neb - 4.0 (North America Nebula)

7008 - PN - 12.0

7013 - Gal - 11.3

7026 - PN - 12.0

7027 - PN - 9.6

7039 - OC - 7.6

7048 - PN - 11.0

7062 - OC - 8.3

7063 - OC - 7.0

7082 - OC - 7.2

7086 - OC - 8.4

7092 - OC - 4.6 (m39)
Back to top Go down
astrolover

astrolover

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:00 pm

Excellent tutorial for beginner & seasoned observer alike. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to add it to this great forum.
Back to top Go down
TomK

TomK

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:00 pm

Another Excellent job!!! Thanks! I know that I will be using this one at some point as well!!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Clive_D

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Glad to see you included the Blinking Planetery. It's a good object to train your averted vision technique. The reason it "disappears" is because the central star is so bright, it overwhelms the nebula and the eye can't handle the dynamic range. One of my favorites!
Back to top Go down
ANGELSKY

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm

Clive_D wrote:
Glad to see you included the Blinking Planetery. It's a good object to train your averted vision technique. The reason it "disappears" is because the central star is so bright, it overwhelms the nebula and the eye can't handle the dynamic range. One of my favorites!

???
Back to top Go down
Clive_D

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:02 pm

ANGELSKY wrote:
Clive_D wrote:

???

When you find this planetary nebula, you can't look directly at it, or you'll only see a small part of it. If you look slightly to one side, you'll see it's much bigger than you first thought. This technique is called "Averted Vision" and works well with faint galaxies and other nebulae.
Back to top Go down
ANGELSKY

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Clive_D wrote:
ANGELSKY wrote:
Clive_D wrote:

???

When you find this planetary nebula, you can't look directly at it, or you'll only see a small part of it. If you look slightly to one side, you'll see it's much bigger than you first thought. This technique is called "Averted Vision" and works well with faint galaxies and other nebulae.

Oh right.I wasn't aware of such a thing.Thanks.Maybe I should try this sideways look all the time then?
Back to top Go down
scopeman

scopeman

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:04 pm

It's a well tried an tested technique Mick.

Human eyes have two kinds of light sensors - Rods and Cones.
Cones work in daylight, they are sensitive to colour, and are situated pretty much central on your retina.
Rods take over in low light, when there isn't enough light for the Cones to work - Rods are far more sensitive - and as you get dark adapted, chenical changes make them get gradually even MORE sensitive, for up to 30 mins or more after you go out in the dark.
However, the Rods are situated AROUND the cones - so by looking slightly to the side of an object, the light hits the Rods better.
This is why dim objects (like the blinking planetary - and all other dim DSOs) look dimmer if you look straight at them.

Averted vision is an acquired art - you get better at it with practice - and you'll also need to exoeriment just how far away to avert your vision (everybody is slightly different)
But a good rule of thumb is to look slightly above, and AWAY from your nose - so right eye - look right and up of the target - left eye look left and up.

Surprising how much more you can see when you get used to doing it - in fact, it's habit now, I do it automatically with naked eyes if I'm outside when it's dark.
Back to top Go down
ANGELSKY

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Oh right.
Thanks Guys I wasn't aware of this.
Back to top Go down
Ben

Ben

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

yes i have heard of averted vision but i am told it is tricking your eye to do what is not normal.
one to practice on Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eugen

Eugen

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:05 pm

sounds very interesting, i would like to try it next time im out.
Back to top Go down
Stuper Nova

Stuper Nova

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Excellent share mate. Very informative and at the same very useful piece of information.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Constellation Guide CYGNUS   Constellation Guide CYGNUS Empty

Back to top Go down

Constellation Guide CYGNUS
Page 1 of 1