Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
A few questions from a beginner  EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
A few questions from a beginner  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

A few questions from a beginner

Go down 
AuthorMessage
evil_yoda

A few questions from a beginner  Empty
PostSubject: A few questions from a beginner    A few questions from a beginner  EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:07 am

Hello all. I've just signed up. Despite my fascination with the stars and the sky I have found astronomy to be a very challenging hobby. This may be because where I live, Lexington, KY, there is considerable light pollution. And I have yet to attend a star party or travel outside of the city to see what I can find in a darker sky.

I currently own an Orion 8" Classic Dobsonian along with an Orion eyepiece/filter kit. I have found Saturn to be impressive, as well as Juipter and the moon is just downright incredible. But I am having trouble locating more difficult to find objects. My dob does not have GoTo and I at the moment I only have the EZ Finder II scope that came with the dob. I am curious as to if there is anything I could purchase that would make my life easier when it comes to finding objects. I have noticed a 9x50 right-angle finder scope on Orion's website that I am considering purchasing. Would this help me out? Also, are there any charts that you guys can recommend that would help me? I mainly use this app on my iPhone called Star Walk. It's pretty neat. I just need more help.

My other question is what other eyepieces, filters or accessories are must have that I do not currently have? For eyepieces my current inventory consists of a 40mm, 25mm, 17mm, 10mm, 7.5mm, and 6.3mm. All are Sirius Plossl's from Orion.

At one point I considered selling my scope. But I've now decided to keep it as it cost me quite a bit of money and I want to learn more. Thank you to everyone in advance. I will try to be a more active member of the site so I can begin to show my friends and family more than just the moon and Jupiter or Saturn. I know there is so much more to see out there!
Back to top Go down

A few questions from a beginner
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: AstroJunkie :: Beginners-
Jump to: