Astronomy Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» NASA Invites Students to Name Moon-Bound Spacecraft
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm by AstroJunkie

» NASA Leads Study of Unprecedented Arctic Ozone Loss
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 1:17 pm by AstroJunkie

» Electrical Circuit Between Saturn and Enceladus
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am by AstroJunkie

» The Big Bang Theory
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:56 am by AstroJunkie

» subatomic particles breaking the universal speed limit
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 10:04 am by andy 'astrojunkie'

» Tatooine system found
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am by astrolover

» hello
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 am by AstroJunkie

» Soyuz undocking
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 am by AstroJunkie

» NASA’s Kepler Mission Discovers a World Orbiting Two Stars
Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am by AstroJunkie

Statistics
We have 126 registered users
The newest registered user is bardokall

Our users have posted a total of 1051 messages in 208 subjects

Ever had one of those nights?

Go down 
+3
cyberstace
Smidge
quadredun
7 posters
AuthorMessage
quadredun

Ever had one of those nights?  Empty
PostSubject: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:46 am

You know, those nights where you just can't seem to find a darn thing? That was me last night. I was making all my usual stops, M57, M13, etc. I decided to try one of my favorite Globs, M56. Now, I've visited this object many, many times before, but tonight, it's like it just disappeared! I swear, I must have tried at least a dozen times. I checked my charts over and over, changed eyepieces, and still nothing! I ended up spending the rest of the night trying to hunt it down, but with no luck. Just a few nights ago I found it in seconds. The seeing was good, so I just don't have a clue. Anyone else have these kinda nights?
Back to top Go down
Smidge

PostSubject: Re: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:47 am

I'm with you on that! What I thought was a great night turned out to be lousy. It looked clear but the transparency was really bad. When I started going for the faint fuzzies, I couldn't find a thing. This has happened more than once.
Back to top Go down
cyberstace

cyberstace

PostSubject: Re: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 12:59 am

Such nights can get frustrating if you limit your targets. On the other hand, if you give yourself more room to explore, you may find the night will return back the favour.
Back to top Go down
sasha

sasha

PostSubject: Re: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 1:07 am

Most nights I can starhop to any target within 30 seconds. But there is that rare occasion I have trouble finding the moon. Wink

Last time out, I was finishing up a decent two-hour session, and going to make M52 my last object of the night. I've been there dozens of times, and it's a relatively easy starhop. But for some reason it took me 10 minutes and several trips back and forth between my atlas before I finally found it. Maybe I can just blame it on fatigue (I'd been up since 3am that morning), but nonetheless it was frustrating!
Back to top Go down
AP0LLO

PostSubject: Re: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 2:11 am

Yup, been there, done that many times because of the murky, light polluted skies here on the Gulf Coast. If you cannot find the likes of the Ring Nebula, the skies are not only murky, they're awful and the only thing you can do is try again on another night. Besides, the moon is nearly full and that alone will wash out faint objects from view.
Back to top Go down
mm5agm

mm5agm

PostSubject: Re: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 2:34 am

Heck, I even had one of those "can't find anything" nights with Go-To. I scrolled down too far entering a Calibration star one time and all of a sudden the scope started pointing to places it shouldn't. Took me nearly half an hour to sort it out.
Back to top Go down
AstroJunkie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  EmptyWed Sep 14, 2011 4:04 am

Yes last night, i had a *stompy feet* moment when i couldn't even find Jupiter Shocked then i realized it was because it was hiding behind a cloud Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.astrojunkie.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever had one of those nights?    Ever had one of those nights?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Ever had one of those nights?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Astronomy Forum :: The Lounge :: General Chat-
Jump to: